October 12, 2013

Countdown - 19 days - Maple Grove, Grawn


Here is Stop #4 on the Maple Grove roadtrip!
Grawn is located in Grand Traverse county, near Traverse City. 
We got there close to dusk, after a day that had dumped 3+ inches of rain on the area, so the pics aren't exactly the best, my flash makes it look darker than it was.  There are just over 750 graves here. 

I really like the above sign.  A basic board with some scrolls around it. 


 LOVE love LOVE love


 The Youkers had a bad 2 years in 1932 / 33, losing both babies. 

 









 Interesting that there's only a birth date here. 

 Another neat stone basket. 

 





 Her name was Alabama? Neat!


 I wonder why the Griffins are in between the Thomas's?


Lots of moss.  I think it says... 
When I'm on my journey
Don't you weep after me
I don't want you to weep after me
Every little river
Must journey to the sea. 
Written my Floyd C. Someone

I Googled this and it's also a song by a band called the Weavers.



   This one doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the statues. 

Maple leaves!

4 comments:

  1. Great pics, but yeah - the weeping angel is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first thing I saw when I got out of the car. I basically ran over to it!

      Delete
  2. I love that you tour grave yards - I find them very cathartic to visit. Love the weeping angel, and the "stone basket" kind of looked like a toilet at first glance.
    Great pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the art & history are amazing. And they are so peaceful!

      Heehee, that basket does look like a toilet!

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!