October 01, 2024

Cemetery Tuesday - Interesting Names, Maple Grove Edition

I love to explore cemeteries. I enjoy the art & history and peacefulness of them. And one also can't help but notice really unusual names. If they were current names, I probably wouldn't bat an eye, but you can't help but wonder how they came up with some of these back in the 1800s!

Also, my goal is to visit all of the 32 real Maple Grove Cemeteries in Michigan.  Last month, the Spouse & I visited # 21 & 22!    

I actually have many photos of headstones, so I narrowed it down to just a few from various Maple Groves.

Maple Grove, Free Soil
Davalen Sue Bell
Mahala Baxter
Elnathan Tobey

Maple Grove Fremont
Corydon "Coral" Edwards
Reo Vallier

Maple Grove, Harrison
Algernon S Young
Emeline Ryder
Ozro Brown

Maple Grove, Grawn
Alabama Thomas

Maple Grove, Greenland
Aale Maki
Myrtice Marie Mead
Liisa Knuutila
another thing unusual (to me) is how they wrote her dates....
they look like fractions!


These are just a few - I'll have to make another post for some of the other interesting names I've seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!