Monday, April 1, 2013

A is for Armature

Today kicks off the Blogging A-Z April Challenge, 2013!  Each day in April (except Sundays) I will be posting here, and the posts will be in alphabetical order!  This blog is all about my love of Halloween.    I'm not into gore, so don't expect to see a lot of that.  I love exploring cemeteries, so several of those will be featured, as well as props I have made and other ideas I've admired on the Halloween Forum and Haunt Forum and Pinterest.
********************

Armature for Props

When you're building a life-sized prop for your haunt, you need a good sturdy armature to hold up your creature / monster / skeleton and also any clothes or accessories they may have.

For Walter & Matilda,
I used cheap Blucky skeletons and THIS slightly modified tutorial to get them to dance.

 This is Peeping Tom. (You can see why he's called that here)
I used a basic PVC frame and duct-taped foam around the torso and
used pipe insulation to flesh out the arms & legs.  Pool noodles also work well.

Other suggestions I've found are...

This one is is motorized so it can stir a cauldron.

source

This is from Spider Hill Prop Works.
I like this one because it makes your armature able to pose.

source

I like this sturdy wood frame, since you can make this creepy guy or you could cover it with robes or Monster Mud.

source

How do your props stand?

********************
For some shameless self-promotion, I have 2 other blogs in the challenge, too.  Check them out!
Random Ramblings - lives up to its name.  Totally random stuff that interests me.
The Life of Lisa - health & weight loss related


9 comments:

  1. I always see your Halloween ideas and think I'm gonna do that... I'm gonna do that... Then I never do. Ah well. I'll just live vicariously through you, kay?

    KC @ The Occasional Adventures of a Hermit & Oh Frog It

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ~blush~ They are just simple & basic ideas - all my props are static. Nothing has taken more than a weekend to do, except for the few things that required cutting wood & painting, the coffin & headstones.

      Delete
    2. And why did I not figure out to make my signature line like yours??? I made 3 separate ones. **facepalm**

      Delete
  2. What cool ideas! I wish I had the energy to try them. Will you adopt me instead?

    Laura Eno – A Shift in Dimensions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I adopted you, you might become part of the display! I threaten my daughter's friends every year.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You would be the first to be animated!

      Delete
  4. kewl, will be back here come halloween. Love the post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a lot more here as the summer progresses. I always keep my eyes open for items to use & actually - now is the time to check out garden centers for stone statuary to use in a cemetery.

      Delete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!