July 15, 2016

Unnamed little Canadian Cemetery

This will be a short post!  While on our anniversary trip into Ontario, the hubby & I passed this little cemetery outside a place called Oungah, Ontario.  I asked him to stop and we turned around so I could look closer. 
I have to assume the actual graves are scattered all around this well-kept clearing.  I'll show you why I think that in a minute.  But the stones were all moved onto a concrete slab in an orderly wide V formation.  The tall obelisk in the middle is the center of the V. 

All the dates range from 1870 - 1904.
Starting from the far right, this is the first stone. 
I'm not entirely certain, but this appears to be an American veteran.












  
Some of them were repaired when moved, so there are metal posts in the cement and wires thru the stone, around the posts. 



 Some bases were still clearly seen out in the lawn.  These were both facing different directions from the road running in front of the cemetery.  Like there was no real plotting originally.  
And none of the stones had the same names, so I don't think this was a family cemetery.  I couldn't find it on Find-A-Grave and nothing comes up on Google Earth when looking at street-view.  I saw the stones, but no name popped up. 

 photo http---signatures.mylivesignature.com-54494-164-6E1F2937D85F5FD3EB8A14DC4819E6EF_zpsg5damrgy.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!