October 24, 2012

Countdown - 7 days! Dia de los Muertos


I love to learn about other cultures and beliefs.

One of these interesting customs is the Mexican celebration of Dia de los Muertos, Day of the Dead.  It is believed that the spirits of the dead visit earth between October 31 and November 2, so families celebrate and remember their loved ones. The build altars and place a photo of the deceased  among offerings of special food, sugar skulls, candles & incense. Cemeteries get filled with flowers & food & decorations.

This is a very colorful, happy celebration.

I like it!  I know my own dad would rather be remembered with joy, rather than with sorrow.




THIS link will take you to a site with details instructions on making your own sugar skulls.

source 1
source 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!