Saturday, April 14, 2012

M

Mummification of..........a Sock Monkey!!

I saw a woman selling one of these at a craft show last fall - and I totally would have bought from her - if she wasn't charging $40 for it! 
So I made my own.

This was a small monkey - a prototype, if you will.  I wanted to mess around and see if I could get it how I want before trying out a big one.  Please excuse the 2 different monkeys - I forgot to take "before" pictures, so I borrowed the girl's.

This was a Sock Bunny, but the ears were only tacked on with 3 stitches.  
The next item is an old t-shirt.  
This one has been used for cleaning & whatnot, so it is nice & dingy.

 Ensure that the monkey is indeed dead. 

 Cut the t-shirt into strips.  They range in size from about an inch to narrower.

Allow the inspector to approve the t-shirt strips.

 I did a large running stitch along the edge 
as I went to hold the strips where I wanted.
I should not have messed with it, since I like how smooth it is here.

 (I re-did the head to use white instead of light blue thread).  
Wrap the arms, legs & tail.  Then cover the body.

 Done!
If I had kept at it and not unwrapped him several times, 
it probably would have taken 4 or 5 evenings in from of the TV.

Total cost?
monkey = $2.47
shirt & buttons = already had
needle & thread = already had.

What I will do differently next time....
-Use either green embroidery thread or puffy paint to make X's for the eyes instead of buttons.
-Possibly cover the entire body / limbs in a layer of t-shirt before wrapping so the color doesn't show thru. 
-Use shorter strips to cover armpit & 'bikini area' first before wrapping the rest.  Those were hard areas to cover neatly, especially with the tail.

My next victim!! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z challenge...lovely blog...good luck with the challenge!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a note - they make me feel loved!!